By Jessica Lautz, Research Economist
- The American Institute of Architects recently released a study, AIA Home Design Trends Survey, showing there is a growing demand away from McMansions and towards homes that are smaller.
- From the survey only 4 percent of architects reported their clients wanted more square footage this year compared to 16 percent last year.
- The smaller home size could be a reflection of a number of factors including the affect of the recession on home owners and home buyers mind set. Smaller is better and less is more. It could also be a reflection of home owners moving towards a more energy efficient home to lower energy consumption costs.
- The 2008 Profile of Home Buyers and Sellers showed the average home buyer purchased a home that was 1,825 square feet.
- Those who purchased new homes typically purchased home that were larger than those who purchased home that were previously owned.
Source: 2008 NAR Profile of Home Buyers and Sellers
Copyright National Association of REALTORS®, Reprinted with permission.
If you are a buyer in our market, these are probably the best buying conditions in 30 years! If you would like to search the Athens MLS with MapTracks please take a look at listings in our “Classic City” today! On this web MLS search solution you can search every listing on the Georgia MLS for the Greater Athens area or in your Georgia town!